When I whipped up this little gem, I had no idea it would get the response that it did. Sure, it was adorable and crazy delicious, but it was just a way of cooking a really simple staple recipe, the sweet omelet. Apparently, instagram thought differently because everyone has been hounding me for this recipe ever since, and life had kind of kept me from real blogging aside from Instagram pictures and short blurbs. To say I felt terrible about this is an understatement, because I hate withholding delicious+healthy from anyone; it is my firm belief that we all have a right to delicious, sinful looking and tasting yet nutritious breakfasts and desserts! It also killed me because the amount of foodporn I have on my phone is ridiculous. I went a little crazy with this one because, well, just look at how cute!!
Before I divulge the recipe, I’d like to just mention the fact that writing an idea down on a napkin is not a good idea. It can get thrown out or, as in my case, your crazy dog can snatch and eat it. My dog really did eat my homework… SO this comes to you from memory, but I’m 99.9999% sure it’s right! I’ll make this sometime soon to be sure, but it should work as it’s really just the same as my sweet omelet recipe, only cooked differently.
The idea for this was sprung by the discovery of mini, round pans that came in a pack of 3 at Walmart for a whopping $5. If it’s mini/personal sized and cheap, I’m buying it. I figured they’d be great for oat bakes and protein muffins, something I can stick in the convection oven and have a personal sized, delicious anything. I had a hankering for a bake, but didn’t want the carb-load. I thought of my sweet omelet, and wondered how it would work if, instead of doing a pancake type thing, I did a protein muffin type thing, baking it in 2 pans and then layering - like a cake! Then this was born (NSFW it’s nekkid!):
PERSONAL BLUEBERRY CHEESECAKE BREAKFAST CAKE aka SWEET EGG BAKE
1 Cup Egg Whites
1 tbsp almond milk
1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder
dash of vanilla
Baking Powder (1/4 tsp should do the trick, a little more if you’re feeling frisky!)
1/4-1/2 C Greek Yogurt
Blueberry Chia Jam (or any jam, or none, it’s YOUR cake!) + Sunbutter drizzle
(1) Preheat your oven to 350*.
(2) Whisk together the egg whites, almond milk, protein powder, stevia, vanilla, cinnamon and baking powder. Evenly distribute into 2 mini baking pans. If you don’t have mini pans, you could always make pancakes! Bake them for about 20 minutes, then check done-ness by inserting a toothpick in the centre. Bake until firm.
(3) While the bakes cook up, mix together the yogurt with vanilla and stevia and put in the fridge until you’re ready to assemble.
(4) When your cake layers are ready, pop them out of the pans and let them cool. This is important, otherwise your yogurt will melt.
(5) Assembly: Put some of the yogurt on one of the cakes, then layer with blueberries and top with the other cake. Top or ‘frost’ with yogurt, a dollop of jam and a drizzle of almond butter.
You know how during Halloween everyone makes those pumpkins that are ‘throwing up’? Behold:
We’re not done…
Not even close…
You know there are other flavors, right? Like CHOCOLATE:
Yeah, I went there. Want to go further?
How about Chocolate PUMPKIN PIE??
No need to thank me, really. But if you’re so inclined, and you make one, tag me or link me so that I can see it!! I love when you guys try my breakfasts out and getting to see how you put your own spin on it.